Minimally Invasive Surgery Options
The Center for Robotic Surgery at Parkridge East Hospital offers two da Vinci® Si surgical systems at one convenient location for easier access to Chattanooga's most experienced robotic surgery team.
Surgeons at Parkridge East use the da Vinci Surgical System™ to perform urologic, gynecologic and general surgery. This approach reduces postoperative pain and scarring as well as the length of hospitalization, which helps you return more quickly to your typical daily activities.
For a free physician referral, call Medline® at (423) 622-6848.
What happens during robotic surgery?
During robotic procedures, a surgeon sits at the da Vinci Surgical System™ console a few feet away from the patient. The surgeon uses the system's controls to operate a tiny camera called a laparoscope that creates a three-dimensional image of the surgical field. The surgeon also controls several electro-mechanically enhanced instruments which enter the body through tiny ports, or openings, made in the skin. These mechanical "hands" allow the surgeon to perform delicate surgical procedures, translating the surgeon's movements into precise, real-time movements.
With nearly all of the natural movements of a human wrist, the robotic system eliminates natural hand tremors and improves dexterity.
Why Choose Robotic Surgery?
The da Vinci Surgical Systems help improve clinical outcomes and redefine standards of care. Patients may experience the following benefits:
- Faster recovery and return to normal daily activities
- Less postoperative pain and discomfort
- Less risk of infection
- Less scarring
- Reduced blood loss and need for transfusions
- Reduced trauma to the body
- Shorter hospital stay
Benefits of Robotic Surgery
- Firefly® integrated fluorescence imaging capabilities provide the physician with real-time, image-guided identification of key anatomical landmarks using near-infrared technology.
- The robotic system’s instrumentation offers the surgeon a greater range of motion than the human hand.
- The robotic system’s camera offers ten times the magnification of the human eye.
- Robotic technology allows very complex surgeries to be performed with a minimally invasive approach. Traditionally, such operations required large incisions and longer hospital stays.
- Unlike human hands, the robot is completely free of even the slightest tremor, which is critically important during delicate microsurgery.