June is Men’s Health Awareness Month, and Parkridge Health is offering tips and resources to help spread awareness and encourage early detection of preventable diseases in men. According to the Cleveland Clinic, 40 percent of men only go to the doctor when they think they have a serious health issue. Men’s Health Awareness Month is the perfect time to set health goals for yourself and encourage the other men to do the same.
- Make the appointment — Yearly visits with your primary care physician can help ensure your health is on track.
- Know when it’s time to get screened — The key to curbing preventable health problems is to stick to a regular screening schedule.
- Move your body in ways that work for you —Find channels of exercise that you enjoy and fit your lifestyle. Look into swimming, biking, yoga or even daily walks and stretches.
- Make wearing sunscreen a daily habit — Daily use of SPF 15 can lower your melanoma risk by 50 percent, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation. Try putting a bottle next to your toothbrush to remind yourself to incorporate sunscreen into your morning routine.
- Be mindful of your eating and drinking habits —Instead of diving headfirst into a total lifestyle flip, try making small adjustments to your diet. Some meatless Mondays or an alcohol-free week can set the stage for long-lasting changes.
- Ditch the mental health stigma and protect your peace — Explore mindful practices and routines that better serve your mental health. Download a meditation app and adopt a nighttime routine that ensures a good night’s sleep.
Parkridge Health System has a network of primary care physicians and specialists to help you keep track of your health goals. Go to ParkridgeHealth.com or call Medline at 423-622-6848 for a free physician referral.
3 min Read Time
2 min Read Time